View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #34
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
There are also a few programs that use Java. The only one that I ever had was OpenOffice. When I stopped using that, I stopped using Java. Last that I saw LibreOffice was phasing out the use of Java and could mostly be run without it.
Mostly isn't really good enough. Mostly.

Quote:
Just to add a thought about Linux, I've tried it on a couple of occasions and have always run into problems. Maybe my hardware doesn't like Linux.
I've messed with the desktop versions (and Red Hat, waaaaayyyyy back), but never got it to do anything I really cared about. Server distros, on the other hand, are another matter. Been using a firewall distro for years, including command line stuff (and that included some custom iptables stuff). Currently testing a Samba domain server running on Ubuntu server, more or less successfully so far.

Quote:
The last time I tried 64-bit Ubuntu. It looked great at first. Started stuttering and freezing. Ended up refusing to boot. I was running it from a USB stick.

I'm not computer illiterate but still found the installation procedure for Ubuntu to be annoying and overly difficult. The installation of Ubuntu gave me a number of options but never explained their significance.

"You didn't make a home partition. Would you like to continue without one?" It never said what a home partition was. I had to go back to the partition screen and create the partition myself.
Just out of curiosity, how long ago was that? Because the defaults on installing the server version are for a completely automated install, other than stuff that can't be defaulted (like user name and password, and machine name). You have to actively avoid those defaults to do stuff manually.

Quote:

I, unfortunately, have far too many physical problems to be heaping a bunch of digital problems on top of them. I've got an old laptop in storage somewhere. If I could find it, then I would try putting Linux onto that since I wouldn't care if it burned up (metaphorically speaking).
Linux generally works pretty well on older hardware, up to a point. The firewall distro I use will allegedly still install on a 486, I think. Certainly a Pentium I. So long as you don't start installing memory intensive add-ons.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote