View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #66
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Well, one potential issue I can see being a consideration is that as MR grows and attracts more members as e-readers become increasingly popular, some of the newer ones might end up seeing the Deals forum as a way to $$$MAKE MONEY FAST$$$.
Sadly, there are enough hucksters out there to attract these folk -- they charge them money for "webmalls" and to sign them up as affiliates in places (assuming they actually do so - would you give your SS and bank info to a place selling you a website?). Over on some affiliate forums, you see them show up daily, having spent anywhere from a few hundreds to thousands of dollars (all of which is, of course, wasted).

Most eventually accept that the average affiliate at Amazon earns in the 10's of dollars/month and to get a sustained >$100/month account can take a very long time (about the same is true at Adsense, which works well for some sites and not well at all for others). Very, very few sites make enough to consider it a 'day job', especially not for any length of time.

You can, with a bit of effort (and if you don't mind getting a 1099 at year end), make enough to keep you in ebooks (although, for many, only if you include the free ones you turn up as part of your pay ).

It's not a big deal, really, to not post aff tags. Although what I've seen in other forums that changed their formats (or actively discouraged other's tags) is that, over time, the communities shrank and eventually only authors self-promoting (or cross promoting) started to dominate (usually, until they too were banned).

I do think the mega threads will get to be a problem (it's one reason I start a new one for Kindle in that forum, each month, and was asked to do one for the nook, although it's thread never got nearly as long).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote