View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 06:12 AM   #15
GMcG
Writer
GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As far as I have read these forums the readers want to go straight to the story. They don't want to scoll through too many pages they are not interested in so far.
And think of Amazon. They mostly offer a look into the book. So how long will it take until an interested reader gets the sample he wants to read? With your structure of the book there is:
Cover (often more KB than the text), Blank page, Title, Dedication, Copyright, Contents, About the author and horrido, here we are, 11 chapters with perhaps three pages of it at the end of the sample. (I have a slow modem connection, it takes some time to get there.)

I would reduce the number of pages before the novel and compress them. For instance, the titlepage with only two lines (author and title of the novel) is a waste of space. It could be:
Author
Title in the first third of the page, big letters
Dedication 1-3 lines in the middle
E-mail and
Homepage at the bottom with working links (for tablets), small letters
Copyright only one line like: C 2012 GraciousMe.

The copyright could be noted also in the metadata with the complete copyright including credits as a separate page at the end of the book. A TOC in the book is not necessary if it is a novel with chapter numbers only. Otherwise, I have an html-TOC as part of a book with a collection of stories. The headlines of the stories make the TOC.

So my proposal is:

*Cover
*Title (author, title, dedication, e-mail, homepage, copyright)
*Novel
*2 appendixes
*Acknowledgments...
*About the author (photo, bio, other books (each book a separate page with small cover and blurb)
*Copyright (ISBN, credits for design, photos, etc), thus including the complete book.

It's very short, isn't it?

George

Last edited by GMcG; 11-15-2012 at 08:16 AM.
GMcG is offline   Reply With Quote