View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by comox View Post
I adjusted max waiting processes to 4 as per dwanthy's recommendation.

About 5 minutes into the conversion my Vista system did a hard lock up. By this I mean both Calibre and Vista stopped responding. Even ctl-alt-del is ignored. I had to cycle power to reboot.
You set the processes to 4, not a suggestion but what I had my system set to. If you want to keep your system responsive while it is converting, and it was still converting, then you should try my other settings, specifically go to calibre Preferences - Behavior - Job priority and change it from Normal to Low. With this change your computer will remain responsive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comox View Post
So in summary I am seeing a hard crash on 2 different hardware systems with 2 different operating systems.
So in summary you have a hard crash on one machine and a not unexpected result on the second. The second may be a bug that Kovid may or may not be able to address, but for machines like your Vista machine the setting for job priority is a solution.

That is why I have my machine setup as follows.

Calibre - Preferences - Behavior - Job Priority : Low
Calibre library exempted from Anti-virus scanning.
Calibre configuration folder exempted from A/V scanning.

With these settings my machine, like yours, went from having all resources go to calibre to being a completely responsive machine able to handle multiple tasks while converting those 300 epubs that I experimented with to help resolve this problem you're having.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote