View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #27
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeonis View Post
Sorry Toxaris. I am not a professional developper but I am not anymore a novice, as I said I wrote amazing scripts with AHK_L including sexy GUI's. Beyond that, I spent my professional life (working for others and not for me) working for a US SW company in technical management positions at the european level. You do not impress me and I can estimate the effort required for small developments like this. Or maybe you donīt understand once more what I need?

Now, what do you really hate about me?
I have nothing against you personally. Why would I? I do not know you.

I simply react on you reactions, if you feel personally attacked, that is saying more about you than about me. I always try to answer professionally and without prejudice. If I have a personal comment to make, I will make it offline.

My gripe was with the line:
Quote:
It should be easy to implement it, you already have the code.
. That is saying that driving is easy, since you have tires. It helps, but is no garantuee. Again it was not a personal attack, but more a general one.

I am not a professional developer, only an amateur. However, I have been for more than 25 years. I also have many contacts with real developers. I work in IT for my complete professional life, but not as a developer. Just as technology consultant and architect. I do know about software development and design. My experience in all those years actually are close to your comments and that is that people in (IT) management usually have no clue on the actual effort of impact a 'simple' request is. It is almost that if they understand it, it must be simple to implement.
Some changes are just not feasible without a complete redesign. I am talking about changes in general here, not specific ones. Also, the developer has an intention with the program. An enhancement request can give a developer another insight and see the need of it, but it is actually the decision of the developer whether it gets implemented. That is the difference between a company developer and a personal developer.
Especially when you request something to be run from command line when there actually might be a close dependency on GUI aspects. These kind of changes are complex, as there are many relations within the code to ensure that it is all valid.
It might be relative easy to implement, I cannot say for sure since I do not know the code or the inner working.

You say I don't impress you? Fine, that is not my intention at all. I don't care. You say you can estimate this kind of small development requests? I don't think so, since you are not aware of the impact.

Quote:
Or maybe you donīt understand once more what I need?
Who is attacking who? I do understand what you want, as I did understand in the other threads. That is not relevant to my reactions. See my change there? You want the change, you don't need it. You need air to breathe.
I understand your need. I doubt that the request will be accepted by the developers, but that is my opinion. You might be surprised. On the site of Sigil you can enter an issue and label it as an enhancement. You will be notified when it is changed. That is quite a normal way of working. If the developers will not do it, it may have various reasons. I can garantuee you that personal reasons are not part of them.

If you are happy with AHK, good for you. Everyone has their own workmethod and that is fine. We share ideas and workmethods and learn from each other. We do not push our methods to others. Sometimes things can just not be done in a certain way.

Respect us and we will respect you. If Jellby, Hitch and several others tell me things cannot be done, I accept that fully. They know their stuff.
I do like good discussions. Challenge me and I will accept. But keep it professional.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote