View Single Post
Old 03-26-2017, 08:32 PM   #1903
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
So far, I've avoided adding site-specific output_css settings to defaults.ini. There are trade-offs regarding sizes and colors between honoring the sites and providing uniform output for often gray scale reader devices.

I generally lean towards uniformity of output more. (To the point I DeDRM my boughten books so I can edit them to match FFF output.)
I can understand that and tend towards it myself. But, I also like a little variety. For purchased books, if I have to edit them, I try to respect the style used. But, if it's a complete mess, I just do whatever is needed.

I do have a plugin I have written to do some common processing on stories downloaded using FFF and some other sources for epubs. Among other things, it replaces the stylesheet with my standard one. That's why I haven't really noticed the lack in the standard one in FFF. I still end up editing most and do a spelling check on them while I am at it (and I really wish authors would learn the difference between "discrete" and "discreet").
Quote:
However, since I don't read storiesonline.net, I don't have a feel for how important these styles may be. Opinions welcome.
Most of them probably aren't important. I noticed that ".notice" was missing because I was working on it. There are probably only a few more that are important. And, like you, I'm hoping some of the other readers put in an opinion. And anyone who uses FineStories should chime in as well. The two sites are the same except for exactly which stories are available.
Quote:
davidfor: Be aware of replace_tags_with_spans. That's the mechanism that deals with <u> etc tags that epub doesn't include.
I hadn't noticed that. But, I remember needing to add ".u" style to my stylesheet.
Quote:
Also, I'd be more inclined to use add_to_output_css, so existing more general customizations are still applied.
Yes, that's probably a better option. Use the defaults and add the needed site specific styles with this.

There are two things I have thought about because of the stylesheets, but don't see. One is an "include" function to read an externally stored stylesheet. The main reason for this is to keep the personal.ini size down. But, editing the stylsheet another editor such as Notepad++ is easier. And if you want to use the same stylesheet for two sites, you don't need to have separate copies in the personal.ini.

The other is a "user site stylesheet" option. The storiesonline stylesheet would work in an FFF created epub. There would be a lot of extra styles, but, nothing getting in the way of the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote