View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyBoy View Post
I recently did an exercise based on the Sunday Times bestseller list for June 14th. [...]

Of the hardbacks 4 were unavailable as ebooks, 3 were cheaper as PBooks (an average of £6 cheaper) the other three were cheaper as EBooks (an average of £3.50 cheaper) these were from Fictionwise.

Of the paperbacks all were available but all of them were cheaper a PBooks! The price difference ranged from £1.63 (Gypsy by Lesley Pearse) to a frightening £12.69 (Deadly Intent by Linda La Plante) the rest showed a price difference of between £2.10 to £8.95)
I just did a quick check on the fiction list:

1. Angels & Demons by Dan Brown
2. The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
3. The Legend of Sigurd & Gudrun by JRR Tolkien
4. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen by Alan Dean Foster
5. Brida by Paulo Coelho
6. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
7. First Family by David Baldacci
8. The Winner Stands Alone by Paulo Coelho
9. Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri
10. 8th Confession by James Patterson & Maxine Paetro

I only looked at Amazon UK and Fictionwise (non-member pricing) for the eight that were available at fictionwise. (3 & 4 weren't there).

UK retail price £91.92, Amazon price £45.65
Fictionwise price $100.68 with $38 in micropay rebates. Just under $35 of those rebates can be used in buying the other books, so net cost of $66 or £40.12 at today's exchange rate.
Of course, as a club member, I could get them for $85.59 but because of a flaw in their system only $23.54 in rebates, so still a net price of $66.

So - ebooks come out slightly cheaper. on this sample. But not by much. They should be coming out a lot cheaper, and for all titles. There are certainly titles on this list where the paperbook is cheaper, which is insane.

Hopefully publishers will come to their senses eventually. (& retailers
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote