View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 07:25 PM   #27
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I suppose the USA Today article implies it, but the only quotes they have are from the publishers, who seem uninterested in ebooks for "kids" because the ones they've tried so far haven't matched Michael Creighton's ebook sales (never mind the appeal of the HP books to adults as well as kids, or the fact that they are possibly the most heavily and notoriously pirated ebook titles ever).

Note USA Today's caption next to Rowling's image: "J.K. Rowling has been tight lipped about her lack of desire to license her Harry Potter books to purchase online." "Tight lipped," or perhaps she hasn't expressed an opinion on the subject at all? I've yet to see a direct quote from Rowling or her agent on ebooks, and her interviews are generally pretty well archived and indexed by her many rabid fans.
Sorry - wasn't clear enough. What was clear to me was that Rowling apparently still has the eBook publication rights since they quoted her literary agency on it. So a source at Bloomsbury saying they want to get into eBooks isn't anywhere near proof that Potter could be published as an eBook - it's speculation at best from that top article information.

As I understand it, sometimes an author will be required to sign away eBook rights along with the print rights. I wouldn't expect that from Rowling (at least, not after Philosopher's Stone....) but you never know as far as what the contracts say about who owns the rights.

A better source: http://januarymagazine.com/2007/02/n...k-planned.html
Quote:
The e-book rumor, however, is another matter. Neil Blair, a lawyer for Rowling’s agent, made a formal announcement that there will be no e-book version of the Harry Potter books. At least, at present none are planned.
And from the source cited for that entry:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...lly_nixed.html
Quote:
<snip>
Blair cited worries about online piracy as one motivating reason behind the decision not to publish the new Harry Potter book in a digital format.
Piracy was a major factor in the decision, but not the only reason that Blair gave; he also cited Rowling's personal preference for printed volumes over electronic publications. Rowling has publicly stated her partiality for writing and reading works on paper rather than on-screen. In interviews, Rowling repeatedly confirms that she wrote the entire Harry Potter series longhand, and that she prefers her readers to "experience the books on paper."
<snip>
That article also talks about the Sony Reader and double-digit eBook growth (but still being small as an industry segment.)

So, as of February, it wasn't in the works.

Can that change? Sure. (And thanks to Nick for the above quotes - it's not impossible that the environment is changing.) But the above is at least one solid citation of Rowling not being in favor of eBooks.

And, in the first-post article snips - yes, economics plays a big part in it. But something also tells me that Rowling ain't hurting for cash.

At any rate, what I'm seeing as clear is that it's Ms. Rowling's decision about making an eBook happen - not Bloomsbury. (Though they and Warner Brothers might also have input into any such decision.)

Last edited by LaughingVulcan; 09-11-2007 at 07:31 PM.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote