View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #15
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I dont think you understand how the DRM works. or I dont?

My files are stored on my home PC and backed up on an external drive not on anyone elses serves so thats a non issue.
if i have a computer crash(unlikely I use Macs ) then that wont stop me copying the books onto a reader via drag and drop! as they are already authorised to me.

the computer can be deactivated via the sony software from any computer i log into, so a crashing computer does not cause me to lose '1 of my authorised devices'

So basically non of what you said applies to the DRM system that I am currently happy with and again if I hadnt been happy i wouldnt of bought DRM Ebooks.
I always felt the whole threat of loss was a very weak argument against DRM. To me the better argument is unforeseen usage. For example, those DRM'd books you bought from Sony will never, ever work on a non-sony-sanctioned device. That might seem ok, but someday you'll want a nicer reader, and maybe it won't be made by Sony, and so you won't be able to use your library on it.

Also the searching/indexing someone else mentioned is a good example of an unforeseen use. In fact, just managing the books with non-Sony software for any reason, as Sony makes some patently atrocious software for their eReader library management.... oy.

Anyway, there are numerous cases where DRM stops you from doing something that should just be trivial. For example, in another realm (music) I had a few albums purchased with DRM, and it was never a problem because (and this is still the case mostly) all the devices I ever used to listen to that music were sanctioned. But then one day I bought a PS3 and it could play the format of my music collection, AAC, just fine. I thought it would be so nice to have all my cool exciting music on the HDD on the PS3 to use as background music in my favorite PS3 game, Wipeout HD, until I realized that a few of my favorite such albums were DRM encrusted. So despite there being no legally reasonable explanation for why I couldn't do what I wanted to do, the technology made it impossible (Until I stripped the DRM myself, which is illegal to do!)

That said, DRM is just a factor in the offer. As long as the consumer is aware of what it means to them, and they still feel the price is acceptable given the added restrictions, then more power to them. I don't believe one should become a religious zealot over some relatively unimportant technology choices. We're talking about entertainment here, for the most part, and the loss of a book isn't really that big of a deal in the long view.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote