View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 08:44 AM   #24
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Well I'm hopeful that all you early gamblers are wrong. Do we really want to fight an ancient war over again, after facing murder, racism, and a fishing sob-story? And yes, Stephen Fry does write a very clever turn of phrase, and he knows it, but take a look at some of the other contenders. In particular:

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North

From the Amazon blurb: "Harry August is on his deathbed. Again." Again? Keep going, I'm listening. The opening sentences of chapter 1: "The second catacylsm began in my eleventh life, in 1996. I was dying my usual death, slipping away in a warm morphine haze, which she interrupted like an ice cube down my spine. She was seven, I was seventy-eight." This was the second cataclysm? I want to read this book!

Okay, so I probably want to read All Our Wrong Todays as well, and The Bay of Noon and Time and Again and ... oh, vote for what you want, see if I care.
My vote for the Fry novel was tactical, I'm afraid. I've read it before, and don't particularly want to read it again, but I'd much rather reread it than 1632, which is long, and I have to say, underwhelming (in my opinion).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote