View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 09:04 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Thank you, Zee. My assumption was that people would be more offended by bad attempts to speak their language and you've already convinced me that the opposite is probably true. I will hereby change my ways. (doggie trots off to bookstore to buy phrase book for upcoming trip to Australia - I wonder how they say "May I have some more bacon, please?" down there?)
i think that translates as "my hovercraft is full of eels." i'm not too sure about the pronunciation though.

i'm very glad to hear you'll try to speak a few words of the language of whatever country you're visiting. it really does make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I'm lucky in that I was apparently born with the language chip. Tend to learn languages pretty quick and pick up the local accents. And if I know in advance I'm going to a foreign country, I work hard learning the language and always find I am well treated.

For example, lots pf Americans complain that the French are unpleasant and arrogant but I have found it to be just the opposite. I don't speak it fluently but just the fact I'm trying seems to make all the difference.
well. *some* french are unpleasant and arrogant, every country has a few of those, it's apparently inescapable. but i agree, you're a lot more likely to get a friendly response if you show you're trying.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote