View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
personally, i think it's unrealistic to be expected to speak fluently the language of every country you might visit one day. and not everyone is comfortable with foreign languages, that's just the way it is. so i don't expect every tourist to speak french perfectly when they stop me in the street to ask me directions.

but, i also really appreciate it when a tourist acknowledges the culture of the country they are visiting by making an effort, however small, and it makes all the difference in my response to them. if a tourist says just "bonjour" or "s'il vous plaît" or "je ne parle pas français" or any word or three in french, even badly butchered, i am much more likely to take the time to answer their question than if they talk to me in english and just expect me to understand (why should i ? this is france ! we speak french here !). there area lot of tourists here and it can be exasperating sometimes (i particularly am annoyed by the ones who walk at a snail pace 5 abreast with arms linked in narrow streets, effectively preventing me from passing them, when i am already late for a work meeting), and it makes a big difference when they seem to at least be making some effort to respect the people whose home they are visiting.

likewise, when i travel, i always make sure to know a few basic words in the language of the country i'm visiting, even just "hello, please, thank you" are a good start.

i'm simplifying, of course, because the impression anyone makes depends on a lot more than just one or two words of the local language, and i am sure that you specifically are always polite and charming wherever you are and in whatever language, but i still think a tourist should make that effort. it's the thought that counts, you know ? it's just a little psychological token, but i think it's worth a lot.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote