View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 07:35 AM   #13
Fitzwaryn
Connoisseur
Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Another helpless addict! vvv's plan for world domination through e-book creation software is proceeding apace.
Yes quite possibly. Now that I've got it working (correct version) I'm pretty darned impressed.

One of the problems I've had has been converting lots of different formats to text then having to use a hex editor to strip out end of line carriage returns and things like that. Very often you find books that no matter which software you use to convert it from the original it leaves no clear paragraph breaks that can be isolated. The result is that once converted to rtf you have a formatting problem. I've written a few quick basic programs to do a fair job of identifying paragraph breaks but even that's touch and go much of the time.

So far BD has had about 98% success at taking the original file and producing a well formatted output file. Not to mention being able to embed images in non-fiction. It even handles conversions from pdf better than most of the dedicated pdf to text programs.

I had a lot of book files in varying formats that I pretty much gave up on; not being able to find a good workable way to convert them for the Reader. I'm going back now and using BD on them and having about an 80%-90% success rate.

It's an impressive piece of software and I've been in the computer software business for over 30 years.
Fitzwaryn is offline   Reply With Quote