View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
I'm curious... did you have misfeeds, or accidentally ever put sets of pages in the wrong way or in the wrong order? If so, how hard is it to handle that situation?
Had no misfeeds, i.e. no HW problems. Had one time where I put the pages in wrong, i.e. operator error. Since I was near the beginning, I just deleted & started over, being more cautious.

The manual says you can set the scanner to "continue", i.e. if it runs out of pages, it will wait for more or you tell it to finish. I found that it was easy (when you pay attention & are cautious) to add more pages as the input queue becomes nearly empty and remove scanned pages from the output queue.

Quote:
Also, does it scan both sides at once, or do some kind of paper movement and scan twice.
Yes, it does scan both sides at once. You can set in to scan only one side (simplex mode instead of duplex mode.)

Quote:
And, does the included software make it easy to scan to RTF?
Scans directly only to 1) single page PDF, 2) multi-page PDF{default}, or 3) JPEG. However you can set the application to "ABBYY Scan2Word". The manual says this will automatically start up the ABBYY OCR application once the scan is complete. The SW is fairly straight forward though. I just did the move to OCR manually.

Quote:
Looks like it's a valid option to the OpticBook if you can create the loose pages. I.e. good for books you are truly converting to e-book and throwing away the paper version. (Obviously if you want to keep/protect the book, something like OpticBook is a better choice, but is slower and more manual work.)
With the SW automatically scanning & creating a multipage PDF makes it worthwhile for me to destroy the book when it is an old beat up paper back. I wouldn't want to destroy my "collector's" hard backs though.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote