View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 10:07 PM   #5
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Interesting find, Bookworm_Girl (I've only read the two quoted paragraphs so far... will wait until I finish the book to read the rest).

I'm also really enjoying the writing and am pulled into the story. I've made it to chapter 7 so far. As far as empathy, I agree, though at first I was worried that Nora might be too saintly which, though there are people like that, can be irksome for me to read about as the character becomes flatter. However, I am seeing more character from her as the chapters go on. I like the chapter divisions so far as well, as each seems to basically be Nora interacting with someone from her life that we haven't met yet and thus slowly expanding our view of her world. In a lesser writer this simple realism could be boring but Tóibín is making it very interesting and engaging.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote