View Single Post
Old 04-24-2003, 11:43 AM   #1
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Are we on the verge of a new era for mobile content?

With the announcement by Palm of their new 64mb Tungsten C, and no doubt to be followed soon by an equivalent Sony announcement, I can't help but wonder about the changes this will bring to mobile content on PDAs, especially PalmOS-based PDAs. Yeah, PocketPCs have had greater memory, but not necessarily the same free ram that these new Palm devices will enjoy.

When I started with my original Visor with 2mb, I still *carefully* tried to run AvantGo, but could only manage a few channels. Then my HandEra with it's seemingly generous 8mb and expansion cards made me feel like I'd jumped to the moon, in terms of capabilities. But that setup, too, soon proved limited. Now with my SJ30 and 16mb ram and memory stick, the ceiling has been raised...although my initial 64mb stick had to be replaced by a 128m stick...and of course I battle the limitations of the 16mb ram! It's just like my closets at home: no matter how big the closet, either the wife or I manage to fill it, usually sooner than later.

What's going to be the effect on mobile content with the increased ram? With the increased capacities of expansion cards, not to mention the speedier processors? Will the benefit just be *more* files, or are we about to enter an era where the software capabilities will jump exponentially and offer new ways of viewing/using this mobile content? Now that the memory, storage, and processors seem finally to be unleashed, the only real constraint left is the screen size....and Sony is pushing that issue as well.

So what kinds of capabilities do you think we might we see in the near future using these new steriod-pumped PDAs?
gvtexas is offline   Reply With Quote