View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #37
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Understand. A couple points.
I never mentioned using somebody's else code, so I don't understand where you are make such a statement.

If you are referring to using somebody's else product, there isn't a tool here that isn't using another persons product.
Um... if you're building a plugin for an existing application, your code directly depends, by definition, on code someone else wrote. The code of the application your plugin is plugging. So Book Creator directly depends on Microsoft code: if they make certain changes that break your application, you can try to work around that, but that's it.

And since Book Creator (I believe) uses Calibre to actually create LRF, EPUB and other formats, it also depends on code Kovid writes (even though it's not a Calibre plugin). So if Kovid makes an unfortunate mistake in his, say, LRF output code, your application's LRF output breaks.

Book Creator is an amazing application for people who want a Word plugin. I don't. I'm sure a lot of people do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Writing everything from scratch might sound fun but it is daunting and long endeavor, also remember you idea of fun might not necessarily mean the same for others.
I've never said I'd be writing everything from scratch. Do I look insane? I hope not. I plan on using as much GPL code as I can get. But stable GPL code, like wxWidgets, Webkit etc. Everything I don't really need I don't plan on using. I can't use Calibre, because it would defeat the whole purpose of the editor, which is eliminating the converter from the equation and having output on your display that is as near to final as you can get. Also, it's a dependency I don't need. Epub is an open standard, and I can write code that outputs it myself.

And although my primary objective is to create a useful epub editor, my second objective is to create a library of clean, fast, portable and very well documented C++ code for outputting ebook formats, starting with epub. Others can then use that code to create other editors, converters or whatever.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote