View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
weblamer
weblamer began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise
PDF-->TXT cleaner upper

Hello folks, I thought I would share this tiny app I wrote for anyone else who has been having the same issues as me.

I have had my ebookwise for over a year now, and I love the thing.

However, I have come across trouble when converting PDF files to text. Sometimes I can export it to HTML OK, but I usually export it to plain text. The problem I have with plain text is the way it is formatted. Each line has a carriage return on the end of it. It looks OK in note pad or whatever, but when I import to the ebook reader, the characters gets squished to the screen and the carriage returns can end up all over the place, leaving it looking messy and not very pleasant to read.

So I wrote this little application in VB to strip out those extra carriage returns for better text wrapping. It seems to do the job for me.

What I mean:

The program itself is simple enough to work on windows without an installation package, but if anyone needs one let me know and I can set one up. The program is simple enough, just select the text file and then hit 'convert'. It will take a few seconds depending on the file size and computer speed.

You can download it here. This is not any sort of cure-all, and there might have been a better way to do this, but its what worked for me.

www.weblamer.com/Converter.zip
weblamer is offline   Reply With Quote