View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
snowwraith
snowwraith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
In the end I decided to kill the Calibre task since the not knowing how long the process of adding the duplicate entries would take - due to no status bar showing after leaving it for a couple hours.

After a reboot I restarted Calibre and had a look to see if it still ran. Loaded up for around 14,000 ebooks. I had a little fiddle with it since my initial and primary task was to tag all the free books I'd acquired that had no meta tags on them. It seems tagging takes roughly a minute to apply once the OK button is selected and this leads me to believe this is why the import takes so long. Part of the importing process is that it picks up the basic meta tags from the filename and writes this info to the database. It stands to reason that if the meta tag writing takes approximately 1 minute and you've got a large number of books then this will take a monstrous amount of time which explains why my PC was taking so long to do this.

For the moment I've regrettably uninstalled Calibre since the re-tagging tasks I have in mind can't be done quickly. Imagine marking up 60 books with 1 author; that's an hours worth of time taken up.

As I said in my original posting it's a shame I couldn't be more positive about Calibre since it looks like it has a promising future. But something as important as the initial importing of books and their meta tagging is a feature that should have been fixed right from the get-go.

However, I will keep my eyes open on the updates and hope for a future release that will be useable.

Thank you for your response and for taking the plunge into writing a solution that the big guns (e.g. Sony) have clearly failed to provide to their end users. I look forward to future releases.
snowwraith is offline   Reply With Quote