View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 02:21 PM   #16
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The Master makes my list of favorite reads in the book club. I was hoping for a new author. However, as a contemporary author, Tóibín does have an impressive body of work and long list of award nominations/wins that makes him worthy of a re-read.

By the way, Fiona Shaw starred in the Broadway adaptation of Tóibín's The Testament of Mary which was nominated for 3 Tony awards including Best New Play.

That's interesting that the Flanagan audiobook has an introduction! The ebook sample starts from the first chapter. From the table of contents, the ebook doesn't appear to have a section at all with historical background or literary criticism. I wonder why they added it to the audiobook.

As an aside, I like it when fiction books add a section at the back with details on the history, especially if the author took liberties and points out deviations. I typically skip introductions which are literary explanations and read them after the story so I don't get spoilers. Indeed it is frustrating when you download a sample and it is so lengthy that you don't get to the actual story before it ends!

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 01-07-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote