View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 09:52 AM   #38
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I don't agree.

Baldur's Gate is its own IP, and it includes/is based on another, namely D&D. I can't do a rewrite of Baldur's Gate, basing it on my very own RPG system and then start selling it. Even if I scrap all D&D characters from it such as Drizzt, Elminster, and references such as Baldur's Gate and Candlekeep, I can't do it because the owner of the BG IP owns its own characters, story lines, and events in the game.

Hasbro/WotC have nothing to do with the IP 'Baldur's Gate', but BG includes the D&D IP owned by WotC. So, the only thing WotC can do, is tell the holder of the BG IP that all older versions based on D&D have to be taken offline, or only sold in conjunction with the new versions.

So if Beamdog would say: "We want to sell the old games separately," then WotC says: "In that case, we don't grant you the use/distribution of the D&D IP." Then Beamdog wouldn't be able to sell any game; not BG, BG2, IWD, old, or new.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-06-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote