View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 01:36 AM   #47
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
It would be nice if I could extract the first handful of images in an epub (or html converted from epub) and pick one as a cover. The calibre metadata editor already does that for PDFs, showing the first screenful of page thumbnails...

I already do this by copying images from the epub viewer (and with difficulty, the epub editor), but frequently the first good image in an epub is somewhere on page 20...

Of course, the next thing I would want would be to take several of those images and composite them...
Where there is a problem like that, I use the editor to set the cover using the desired image. I usually use the add cover tool, but setting the image as the cover is enough. Then, the metadata editor will get the right.

But, I'll have to add a warning. I just did this and there is a problem. It is something I had noticed before, but, hadn't connected the dots.

I needed an epub with multiple images in it, so converted a CBZ I had to epub. That duplicates the first image and adds it as cover.jpg.

Then, I edited the book and selected one of the other images and marked it as the cover. Saved and opened the metadata editor. Then selected the epub version and pressed the button to get the cover. And, as expected, it retrieved the image I had set as the cover. But, as I didn't want that to be the cover, I cancelled and opened the epub in the editor. As I have the options set to update the metadata and the cover when opening the editor, it did that. But, that means it replaced the random image I had marked as the cover with the one that the library had as a cover. Which is working as designed, but not what I really intended.

And, there is another problem if you use the add cover tool in the editor. That will change which image is the cover image, and removes the old cover image. Again, working as designed, but probably not quite what we expected. This I noticed a couple of weeks ago along with something that is definitely a bug. When this happens, other pages containing the either the previous cover image, or the new cover image, can get changed. That I have a fix for, and need to finish testing.

And doing all that, makes me realise there is no simple way to duplicate a file inside the editor. For a text file, it isn't to bad (new file, copy all and paste). For an image, it needs an export followed by an import. It works, but, in six months time I'm going to be wondering what all those images are that are lying around
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote