View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #12
rebl
r.eads e.njoys b.ooks lol
rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I was trying to test this on a different system but not having office installed and installing only the fileformatconverters, it installed the wordconv.exe exactly in the default path (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12) - so I can't reproduce the problem I had on the other system. This is a Win 7 32-bit system.

I'll try again on the 64-bit system, that one has the Office 2010 installed and the wordconv.exe is ALREADY in [...]Program Files (x86)\[...]\Office14 folder and I suppose it won't work (or should it work???) to install fileformatconverters? Maybe that was the problem? I saw I already have wordconv.exe (but in a different path) and thought it should work with that one.
On the other hand I doubt the install program would agree to install a second copy on the same system....

But a problem still persists- the usefulness of the select location / browse for file dialogue.
I've manally copied the wordconv.exe to a different path, just to test, and the behavior is the same as noticed yesterday with the older version of the plugin: the dialogue allows me to select a different location, it correctly lists the location in the textbox (and also allows me to manually edit/input the path) but after applying it actually does not save the change and the default path is still there.
That behaviour is in the Preferences / input / doc dialogue and not in the Settings of the Conversion dialogue. The two dialogues are very similar, but one is in the Preferences and should set the .. well.. preference forever, while the other one is in the convert dialoge and I suppose is a temporary setting valid for the active conversion.

On the bright side, leaving aside wordconv path changing, the plugin works apparenly ok on my Win7 32 bit system with wordconv installed in its default location, and I was able to perform a bulk conversion. I am not sure but I suspect the old plugin could have worked too (on the system with default wordconv location), because I was also working in single convert mode on the 64bit system, because I could change the wordconv path (in single mode you can change the path, in bulk mode you can't, because you can't edit input preferences in the bulk convert dialogue - so obviously it did not work on the system with the non-default wordconv location).

Last edited by rebl; 08-19-2014 at 10:05 AM.
rebl is offline   Reply With Quote