View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #360
roustabout
roustabout began at the beginning.

Device: nook ST, onyx t68
kindle for windows date locked?

I skimmed the thread and didn't see anyone mention problems getting the old Windows kindle executables to run, so I thought I'd share what I'm seeing. It looks like Amazon's forcibly sunsetting them?

Last night I tried to launch the Kindle app on Win 7 for the first time in a long time.

I was unable to get it to run, so I reinstalled it. Still no go - open the app, it doesn't run, doesn't crash, never displays a splash screen.

I tried installing from 1.1 and 1.7 installers I had archived. Then I downloaded a current installer, and the app ran just fine (and generated an AZW file which Calibre is unable to work with.)

This afternoon, I spun up a Win XP virtual machine and tried installing one of the old installers - installs, but no splash screen. I set the date back a few years and now the program runs.

It cannot sync to my Amazon account, but it does run. set the date to the current date, and now the program won't run. If I launch the program in "2012", then set the system clock to now, the sync fails. It looks to me as if Amazon is blocking the old apps from spawning their GUI if the date is later than X, and blocking the old apps from syncing.

I threw up my hands and ordered a used Kindle online so I can try the download for USB option. Ten bucks for a 2014 vintage kindle at Walmart, and another 7 for relatively fast shipping.

Then I read more carefully and realized the AZW file I had was probably the new format but with the old extension, used method 2 to rename the renderer and freed my title.

I'll let the Kindle come in anyhow. I like having that option for when I'm on a computer that doesn't have Kindle installed.
roustabout is offline   Reply With Quote