View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 11:56 PM   #1
davlewis
davlewis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Kindle 2 reliability

In looking at some reviews (mainly on Amazon) the Kindle 2 has received a significant number of 1 star ratings. A lot of spontaneous failures after a week or so. Broken displays. Questions around moving magazines from a Kindle 1 to a Kindle 2. One user who indicated theirs dropped 5 INCHES and the screen was trash after it was picked back up.

Is the general consensus that the Kindle 2 is very fragile? For example if I place it in a small laptop bag along with a Netbook for traveling on a plane do I risk breaking the thing?

The Kindle has the advantage of the vast number of books on Amazon, the wireless purchase of new books and Whispernet sync with my iPhone, and the first chapter samples. But, if the thing breaks if you look at it wrong, then all of these are for naught.

At the moment I am leaning towards the Sony PRS-505. Granted no wireless (and no direct Mac support), and it appears that books on the Sony store are consistently a dollar or more expensive than the same title on Amazon. But the reports I have seen on the Sony are indicating a more robust build quality (less plastic feeling). The availability of the dark blue (or even red) is claimed to help contrast as opposed to the white surround of the Kindle. And of course the Sony is cheaper than the Kindle. The Sony has both the Memory Stick and a SD card slot, I am amazed that Amazon removed the SD card capability on the Kindle 2.

So, any thoughts, for owners of a Kindle 2 is it as fragile as what I have seen? If I could find a Kindle 1 online that was in good shape would it be a better option than the Kindle 2?

Thanks,
davlewis is offline   Reply With Quote