View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 04:18 AM   #7
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
Have any of you used your Kobo (or other ereader for that matter) for anything other than personal recreational reading? And I'm not refering to using it as a coaster, plate, frisbee or chopping board What I am interested in is how people find using an ereader for research, reference texts, etc. When I read a book for my own personal pleasure, I tend to start at the beginning and read to the end and then start the next book. My KT has been a real pleasure to use this way. However, when I have to do any research or refer to reference books, I tend to jump around or flip through books to find the sections or pages I need to refer to; sometimes having to use all fingers to mark pages as I flip back and forth. So, I have trouble seeing how an ereader is going to eventually replace dead-tree versions of research books. I'm not trying to put-down or criticise ereaders. I would actually like to understand how other people use these devices for this type of work so that maybe I can too, embrace it.
I am not sure that the Kobo is suitable, but I can assure you that it is indeed possible to use a reader for research - but you need to have a firmware that would allow you to do multitasking. So in my case the Pocketbook 903 does that: you can keep as many books open as you like (or at least I've never hit the bound if there is one) and "flip" through them, and you also have a preview of the last pages seen in each document, so that you can move around without need for bookmarks if you don't want to add them. The problem with the pocketbook is that exporting annotations is cumbersome to say the least, so I have to agree with what has been said above already, namely that unless you have a very strong preference for e-ink (which I do) a tablet is probably a much more flexible choice.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote