View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
Have any of you used your Kobo (or other ereader for that matter) for anything other than personal recreational reading? And I'm not refering to using it as a coaster, plate, frisbee or chopping board What I am interested in is how people find using an ereader for research, reference texts, etc. When I read a book for my own personal pleasure, I tend to start at the beginning and read to the end and then start the next book. My KT has been a real pleasure to use this way. However, when I have to do any research or refer to reference books, I tend to jump around or flip through books to find the sections or pages I need to refer to; sometimes having to use all fingers to mark pages as I flip back and forth. So, I have trouble seeing how an ereader is going to eventually replace dead-tree versions of research books. I'm not trying to put-down or criticise ereaders. I would actually like to understand how other people use these devices for this type of work so that maybe I can too, embrace it.
While annotations, notes and the like on ereaders are not up to what I can do with a dead tree book, some coloured tabs and a few highlighters, I've got most of the IBM Red books that I refer to fairly often on my Glo. It's more convenient than carting around 50Kg of binders with the printed versions. I will admit that on occasion, my hard copies have been more usuable but for the most part, I've been able to live with the Glo in the field. For PDF files, I've been using an iPad -- those expletive deleted Cisco diagrams are just too small to read on the Glo.

One other item is that since most of the technical epubs I have are not protected, I've also used Sigil to allow me to enter comments, highlight text and edit errors in the epubs.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote