View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 01:20 AM   #12
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm absolutely not an Apple "fan" by any stretch of the imagination, but I bought an iPad simply because it's the best product of its type on the market, and one which, although it's hosted a whole legion of imitators, has not yet been surpassed.
Harry is right here. I haven't posted much over the past year but I have followed his journey after his decision to buy an iPad and trust me, he is not even close to an Apple zealot. He is, however, a very exactly person in evaluating a device. His comments are not motivated by anything other than the right tool for the right job.

So, when reading his observations one a device, it really is not from a POV of trying to sell someone on a device, rather to offer an objective and honest opinion.

Now I need to go take a shower because I feel somehow, dirty for defnding and Apple device!!

Harry does not need me or anyone to speak for him, I am only offering my observations on his journey through the morass of reading devices. And after spending time with one I can agree even if I too would never buy one. But that argument has been done to death here so if ya wanna search for it the threads and posts are out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
I can not buy an apple device. it has no user replaceable battery it has NO sd card slot and its about as "locked down and perverted" a device as you can get. When you buy an ipad your not buying property your licensing hardware and thats just not an option for me.

and even used its about $300 too much.

$200 price point was because I can get a 1024x600 epad for $150 and a Core2Duo Slate computer for under $300 (12" 1024x768 screen) either a motion computing LE1600 or a Fujitsu ST5x series slate.

I was just hoping to find something simpler and lighter :-)
Nobody is disagreeing with you but reading devices and tablets are a totally different animal than a full PC device. There are many reasons for the differences in price. And remember price is NOT everything. Also the base iPad is "only" $499 at WallyWorld, zoikes!! But the Adam is going to be in the same price range though it is going to be a far more fully featured device that is going to put a lot of pressure on Apple as well as the so far very quiet HP and their upcoming WebOS slate devices. We have yet to hear from that quiet-giant and they have been doing far more than napping at the switch.

For now you are going to have to swallow hard and live with either higher weight with lower battery runtime or a device with lower weight and a higher price at this point in time with a moderate battery runtime. And the price for the more ereader-like device is going to be $400-$1000 depnding on the screen type, size and other intangibles. Oh and also the type of digitizer, you want a Wacom or Wacom-like device. FYI, last year Amazon bought a small but promising company which had developed a Wacom-like touch technology. We have yet to hear squat from them. Part of me suspects it is the tech used in the new Hanvon device and why we may not see the Hanvon color device outside Asia for a while, if ever. Of course that is pure conjecture on my part but the timing somehow feels right. It is a beta run for Amazon.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote