View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 10:38 PM   #14
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Only one real standout for me this year, but still one that was good enough to make the year worthwhile

The British in India by David Gilmour...
On your recommendation I am going to read it, in fact I am jumping it to the top of my reading list.

My paternal grandmother, who was English, was born in India and, apparently unusually, stayed there for all her schooling. Best I can work out that would have been the end of the 19th and the very early years of the 20th century. Then, as a young woman, she lived in Fiji working as a journalist. Unfortunately, she died before I was sensible enough to ask her much about her life and that was complicated in that she lived in another city. But I do remember going shopping with her in Karangahape Rd., in Auckland, for instance, and her chatting away in Hindi (I assume) with the Indian shop keepers who (I assume) came mostly from Fiji back then.

Thanks for the recommendation.

John
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote