View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo View Post
Just picked up a Nook Color for my wife because I knew it would be an awesome little tablet for her. Of course I also wanted to root it so I could get her set up with better apps, etc.

A couple of questions:

1) What's the best way to make this a very usable Nook Reader while keeping it in CM7? The dual-boot thing isn't really an option - I don't want to have her mess with that. Do people just download the Nook android app? Does this work with things like the Read To Me books and other kids apps you can buy from B&N? What about being able to see her bookshelf, etc? There are some things from the unrooted (un-CM7'd) Nook Color that are nice for a non-Android person.
The "read to me" children's books are NOT supported in the Android Nook app. Lame. The iOS (apple) nook app has been updated to support them, but not the Android app. Lame. It has been updated to support magazines.

Otherwise, the Nook app for Android works very well. Some people actually prefer it to the customized nook app that comes on the NC. I believe it has more options for fonts etc, supports landscape mode (which the NC B&N app doesn't do), and can even have animated pages turns, if you are into that sort of thing.

The Nook for Android app doesn't have as much support for shelves etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo View Post

2) What is a good launcher or theme for me to install for her? She hasn't used the stock Nook Color very much yet so she's not too hooked on how it looks and feels, but I can tell for sure that she'll be as intimidated as hell by the way CM7 looks and feels right out of the box. Any ideas on how to make this thing... pretty? More easy to use?

Thanks for any answers to the rook questions...
You might try the honeycomb theme on CM7 (I haven't tried it).

If you get the file types registered right, you can also put shortcuts to the books she is reading straight on the desktop.

You also may want to download "lcd density" and play around with different screen densities. The default is 161. A density of 181 gives a little bigger icons, w/o messing up the overall scheme. An even bigger density (201 or 220) will give even bigger icons, but may mess up the bottom bar.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote