View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #458
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylee Skylyn View Post
New here, just let me preface with that. :P
Welcome!
Quote:
A few questions though.

1) I am glad to see some people count pages rather than books. But I was wondering if that is even accurate enough?

Doesn't the amount of text per page differ between the books layout, size, font ect? Why can't books list a word count? That way be easily comparable, but I don't think I've ever seen a book described as X words....I did see a post elsewhere in the forums about a standard "page" in a eBook being X number of words but when reading a traditional paperback how do you estimate how many words a book is?
I have been accused of being very "scientific" about page numbers (I am not quite sure how to take that. ), so here are my thoughts on this. Don't worry about it, as long as you choose something somewhat consistent it will all work out in the end. I try to find the mass market paperback page counts for any particular book because I know at least the page size is approximately the same and the font sizes are going to be at least somewhat close. If you read mostly ebooks you can also use the Calibre plugin to find the equivalent page counts (or word counts) too.

Quote:
2) Do the reading lists have to be "officially" published books?
ATDrake covered this nicely. This is more about creating and meeting a personal goal than racing with each other.

Quote:
I also just joined GoodReads so may use that to track my progress.

Also must say; since discovering digital books I've really started to "hoard" them...downloading freebees is a new addiction and I'm not sure how to prioritize my reading (I download stuff I have SOME interest in but certainly not everything I download would be read if it wasn't free...heck I may not have even grabbed it from the library...) I like the GoodReads "To Read" list but wish they had a handy way to prioritize and categorize my "To Reads".
I had some of the same issue when I started getting into e-books, so I made a spreadsheet to track my TBR list and books/pages I have read. You can click my signature which will take you to my yearly challenge to see more, the links to the spreadsheet are in the spoiler at the bottom.
(I hope this doesn't fall into self-promotion.)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote