View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
*Almost* borked my Galaxy Tab

I decided I wanted to root my Verizon Galaxy Tab and install a new ROM and kernel. Why? Why not! I'd already done the same with a few other Android devices so felt ready for this.

First I went to this thread at XDA which showcases a ROM especially for Verizon Galaxy Tab. However, in order to use this ROM I had to work backwards because there isn't really a clearcut guide to doing this.

Reading the instructions I had to load CWM (Clorkwork Recovery Mod) or purchase the VZW bootstrapper. Went with the bootstrapper app. Reading the instructions for the bootstrapper requires the Tab to be rooted. Z4root works on the Tab.

Somwhere in doing all this I boloxed an install, I think it may have been CWM because I didn't understand how to boot into recovery mode. (With Tab off, hold up volume button and press power button for 2 seconds. Continue to hold up volume button until the Tab boots into recovery mode. You will see in landscape mode about a half dozen lines telling you your options and how to implement them.)

I thought I had made a backup of the factory ROM, but it either didn't work or I didn't understand the directions. So, I started googling and found [How TO] Restore VZW Galaxy Tab to stock DJ11 at droidforums.net. I was able to restore my Verizon Tab back to the factory ROM. Yes, I had to load all my data and apps again but it was worth it not to have a brick.

I do plan on trying again to flash a new ROM but I will be more careful this time.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote