View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Now, I have discovered something irritating - logging back into my account needs a computer, either to use the Kobo desktop, or get into the database with an SQL editor. That's going to be great help if I run into difficulties with no computer access! (Seriously - very poor idea, Kobo. What's wrong with allowing login from the device itself?) I am now left with in a bit of a quandary - I like to have my books on removable media so that, in the event I need to do a reset whilst away from a computer (I don't like taking computers on holiday), I can do it and then have my library complete. That option is now taken from me, so I'm left up the creek without a paddle either way. Essentially, I don't need an SD card with this level of messing around: my Calibre library is stored on a Google drive, so if I can get to a computer to sign in (assuming that, say, an internet cafe computer would let me install Desktop or an SQL editor), I can get to my books. This has seriously dented my confidence in the KT: does anyone have any workarounds?
Get a USB drive and put the portable calibre on it with you library. Then you can reload it from any computer. If you add the Kobo desktop software, and you can install this temporarily, you can get around the reset. Or put a SQLLite browser on it to doctor the Kobo's database.

Quote:
Anyway, following login via the Desktop, I am now able to make Shelves again, which is good news, but why on earth isn't there a search function on the page to add books to Shelves? Come on, guys and girls at Kobo!
The shelves are nice, but the maintenance is not. Until the calibre driver can do it.

One thing, if you setup the shelves and then sync with Kobo (either the desktop or wireless) it remembers the folders and can sync them back. It puts the kepubs back on the shelves, but I am not sure about the sideloaded epubs.

Quote:
Right, I have just put the SD card back in the KT, and powered it up. The first time, it completely ignored it, but after switching it off and on again,it is at least recognising new content, though it is much slower than last time (four minutes to 17%, ten minutes to 26% - it's like watching paint dry). I think it is safe to say that the KT has issues with SD cards!

Well, it took just under an hour to process the content, but the database seems to be good, and the Shelves showing up nicely.
I wonder if the performance here is due to the database size. It might need a compress or reorg or something to clean up after the adding and removing all the books on the SD card. While I have done some testing with an SD card, I was only testing with three or four books. This was purely to find out how well the calibre driver handled them.
Quote:
I have just Removed the books from the SD card using Calibre, without the same difficulties as above, but now Calibre fails to recognise that there any books on the device at all, despite the fact that that the KT sees them, and selected ones open. Whatever - I'll give it a rest now.
Were you looking at the library list or the device list? If the device list shows nothing, then there was an error reading the database or the metadata.calibre file on the device. If the device list is populated, but the library doesn't show anything that any of the books are on the device, then it either means a change happened so things didn't match (changing title or author can do this or changing the plugboard used will also do this) or there was a different error reading the devices database or metadata.calibre file.

Quote:
I'm on holiday for a week from tomorrow, so I'll no doubt have more to report when I get back!
I'm sure you will, but remember to use the Kobo for what it is intended for: reading not as a toy to play with. If you do that, it should be fine.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote