View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #36
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
With what are you happy: versioning without comments up to version 1.0, or immediately posting the 1.0 version at a certain date?
Versioning without comments up to v1.0, unless the author specifically asks for help. But also having a target date for v1.0 to be there by.

Quote:
I'm thinking that at some point, we'll set a date at which the final draft will be posted into the author's Dropbox folder. Then we'll all pick one story (the same one) and read it. We all post a file with our comments into the author's subfolder. The author can react to these comments by updating each file, and he/she can edit the story and post a new version, pointing out the changes. We read it again (the changes, mostly), and post comments in the comment file. And so on...
I think the commenting in the folders could work, but doing it one story at a time sounds unnecessary and we'd need to wait for everyone to complete their comments. I suspect we'd end up with long delays.

The stories are going to reach their draft v1.0 at different times naturally, and I think this could all work in parallel. Some stories will go through multiple drafts and review, others might just need tweaking.

Can I suggest that there are two review phases? In the first, people shouldn't get too hung up on grammar, spelling, sentence construction, etc., but instead concentrate on plot and character. Does the story work? Are there plot holes? Do we care about the protagonist?

There's no point spending time line editing while you're rewriting things.

Then in the second phase we can concentrate on line editing and polishing.

Quote:
After we all decide we're done with reviewing and editing this story, it'll become final and can't be changed anymore. Then we'll move to the next one and repeat.
I think authors will always want to update and tweak, so I don't think we can set any story as final until we're ready to assemble the ebook.

Quote:
Yes, but it wouldn't be wise to post the final version (the one that gets into the anthology) as a PDF. I'd highly prefer that you'd post that in ODT, DOC, or TXT format.
Yes, that's no problem. The final version can be supplied as a Word 2003 .doc.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote