View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #56
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Okay, I don't mean to threadjack here, but this isn't working right for me. I can do that sometimes with URLs but on web pages and in emails, I only get a highter slider thing. If I tap on it the selected text is "copied to clipboard" but no ccp dialog box appears if I tap-n-hold. And good luck trying to past - I must be doing something wrong, but even when I have text in the clipboard, I can't get it to paste anywhere - no ccp dialog box appears in notes programs, new emails, etc.

I know it can be turned off. Smart spellcheckers know when you start a sentence with http://www that they shouldn't spell check anything contiguous to that. I think the Fire does that for email addresses and URLs in the To: field or in the address bar, but not in other places. That's not so smart. And I don't want to turn it off because I actually think the rest of the spellchecker is pretty good!
I haven't used Copy & Paste in the email app or browser, so I don't know. But one thing is for sure, Android is NOT as elegant and smooth to use as iOS, sadly.

It seems to me that you are extremely unhappy with your Fire. I think a lot of that is due to Android being Android! It is not a well thought out OS. After all it was written by a search engine company. It took me a long time to warm up to it, and over a year later I still curse it out on a daily basis. But it is an open alternative to the horribly closed iOS culture and system. If you cannot get the Fire to work for you, and it kind of looks like that is the case, then perhaps you should send it back. It was only $200 and there is no way it could ever compete against an iPad or Android tablet costing at least 2.5 times more.