View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #93
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I've been aware of data mining since the early 90's and aware og Amazon's data mining for about 2 year I think. How can you not be aware when you browse something on Amazon and it immediately is followed by a string of related adware on google etc.

In the 90's with things like gator and airmiles cards it was pretty obvious that data was being collected. I was pretty paranoid about it for at least 10 years and avoided loyalty cards, instant sign up engines and anything that smacked of data mining.

Of course I realized long ago that it was futile to resist. My credit card statements have spending reports. One card even had it broken down how much I had purchased of toiletries, prescriptions or groceries from a store.

So now I have loyalty cards as they do save me a fair amount and the data is being mined already through my bank and credit cards.

I could give up the plastic, and go strictly cash, but I chose not to.

I don't mind targeted ads, and actually rarely see them, although there is a subliminal effect. But not any worse than Television ads and less intrusive than mail ads IMO.

And for most of us the ads are the big effect. Sure we all have secrets to hide, although I doubt I am blackmail material, and I doubt I am open to criminal prosecution, although one never knows.

And for most of us what will happen?The courst seem to tied up, and the jails to full for authorities to arrest known repeat offenders of anything but the most serious crimes and even then it seems not to happen.

But of course I am being to blasé about it all. We know that many countries and governments have used networks of spies against segments of the general populace and decimated whole populations as far back as biblical times. It has been possible and has been done even in recent times without the internet. (not being specific as that might be construed as political which is not my intent).

Sure we can all get up in arms about it and demand it is stopped, but I doubt it will have much effect. Still while I am not going to get up and create my own bandstand as I think it is futile and am really not that outraged I would be willing to support any of the people here who have expressed extreme outrage if they are going to go public with their objections in a constructive manner, as opposed to expressing extreme outrage and waiting for someone else to do something about it.

PM me if you have a petition that needs signing with your name at the top and if I agree with the premise I will sign it and post it.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote