View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 12:19 AM   #1361
tominsfo
tominsfo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
another Kubrick debrick success story with Kindle 3 keyboard

thanks for the Kubrick software which worked for me - after some trial and error.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard

Failure mode: "Your Kindle needs repair" screen with the "battery" annotation at bottom right.

Cause: Unknown, but this Kindle had been sitting idle for at least a year. Wouldn't accept a charge, wouldn't boot, etc. etc.

First attempt at Remedy: 1st I tried to replace the battery, but the new battery also had trouble charging, and the amber charging light would go out after about 20 minutes. Tried multiple reboots, resets, including the small button on the pcb board but nothing worked.

Second attempt at Remedy: downloaded kubrick to a usb stick and it would only partially boot indicating that "no partition found." So then downloaded the CD image and burned it to a CD on Windows 7 laptop which created bootable disk. Ran the Kubrick program, it started fine on the CD unlike the usb, and while it appeared to successfully flash the kernel in about 10 seconds, it would only flash the partition for about 5 minutes, reach 2%, and then indicate "successful" even though all the instructions say that it takes 2-3 hours to flash the partition. Well, it wasn't successful. So in the process of trying to reboot it (slide power key, then volume - key), pushing little reset button on back of pcb board, I became frustrated and took it back to the charger. But now something was different - the amber charging light stayed on longer than 20 minutes; in fact the amber light stayed on for at least 5 hours and also the charger was warm the whole time (unlike before). So in a hail mary, I tried the kubrick CD again and this time it flashed the kernel, like before, but unlike before, took 2 and half hours flashing the partition.

Result: After the 2nd flash, and after charging the replacement battery after the initial partially successful but ultimately failed flash, the second flash worked!

Anyway, thanks for your solution, I share my experience if it might help someone, and yes I made a small contribution to the Laos reading project as per the sponsor's request.
tominsfo is offline   Reply With Quote