View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #61
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
After some more experimentation:

Deleted book (using Calibre), and resent book (KoboTouchExtended-created kepub) resulted in:
* Book listed on home screen as newly added with correct cover
* Book can be selected, opened and read
* Once back on home screen book cannot be seen, just a blank cover under 'New' which gives error message when selected

Aura ejected and reconnected (metadata updated automatically, no other changes):
* No change - book not listed as being read, a blank cover appears under 'New' etc.

The book always appears in the library, displaying cover correctly.

Hope this helps...
After some comparison of the files and database output you sent me, I found......... nothing that makes sense to me!

The kepub on the device when it works and the kepub on the device after opening and it stops working are identical (according to their SHA512 checksums), so that confirms that the device is not doing anything to the kepub to munge it. The filesystem is FAT32 (possibly vFAT)

The database dump before adding the book contains no references to the book, which is exactly what I want to see.

The database dump after adding the book and after the book becomes unreadable are mostly identical except for a few things:
  • The WordCount field for the individual files within a book is mostly '0' and '-1' after initial processing, but becomes a more reasonable value after the book is no longer readable. Specifically, all entries with ContentType = 9 are updated to values that seem reasonable for the book and all other entries (ContentType = 899 or ContentType = 6) are left at -1, which makes sense based on what these ContentType values represent.
  • The DateLastRead field for the main book entry (ContentType = 6) is set to its default (1970-01-01T00:00:00) before reading the book, but has a timezone identifier afterward (2013-04-30T19:09:27Z). This is consistent with what I'm used to seeing with a Glo.
  • The ChapterIDBookmarked field is blank before opening the book and set to the URI fragment identifying the Kobo span tag where the reader believes reading stopped (specifically in this dump, OEBPS/Text/The_Ship_split_004.html#kobo.8.1).
  • The ___PercentRead field was 0 before the book was read and was updated after the book was opened and a few pages were read.
  • The three fields for reading stats estimates (RestOfBookEstimate, CurrentChapterEstimate, and CurrentChapterProgress) were 0 before opening the book and are updated with estimates after opening the book and reading a few pages.
Every individual piece makes sense, it makes sense taken together, but it makes no sense at all why the device fails to open the book. Does anyone else have this problem? chrisparker, does this happen for you with any other books?
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote