View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
CaesarW
Linux enthusiast
CaesarW began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 PW4 (all jb)
[SOLVED] Force downgrade caused "Your Kindle needs repair"

Hello everyone!

I've got a kindle PW3 with fw 5.8.11 new out of the box two months ago. And I've searched for any jailbreaks for the firmware. I know that theoretically it's not possible for that firmware, but there're exceptions for Kindles new out of the box according to this link.

But the most stupid thing I have done is trying to downgrade it to 5.7.4, and of course it failed (I should have installed 5.8.9.0.1 fw!!).

And now my Kindle is experiencing bootloops (Kindle start -> progress bar -> couple of more restarts -> "Your Kindle needs repair).

But there's still hope as my PC is able to recognize the Kindle as a removable storage for a period of short time (about 20 seconds), and then disappear. I've read some threads on the forum and found that the only possible way is to split an official firmware into file pieces and copy them one by one to the Kindle when it's recognizable, and then combine them into a full firmware.bin file. The method comes from 4PDA, but no links are provided so I could just try my best.

It's easy to split into parts and copy them to Kindle, which I already succeeded. But just can't get them combined as the I/O speed is too slow and time is limited.

Also tried split file and cat them into one file, but still not that possible.

Anyone had the same experience? Asking for help now.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by CaesarW; 09-23-2018 at 05:41 AM.
CaesarW is offline   Reply With Quote