View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 03:59 AM   #23
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
It's similar to choosing the right name for a character I would think. You want the brave, strong, hero to have a name that emphasises who he is. A cutesy name would work against that.
I wonder if anyone edits their ebooks to change character names they find annoying?

But names are strange things. Firstly, people tend to have prejudices against certain names resulting from public and/or private associations. Writers can try to avoid (or take advantage of) public associations, but there's nothing we can do about private ones. Secondly, it's amazing what you can get away with if you're talented enough. I mean "Dumbledore", what sort of silly name is that? And what about "Pug"? I can't be the only person who saw that and thought of tiny, flat-faced dogs. Not sure how I happened to come up with wizards for both examples, but in both cases, in a very short time the name stopped seeming strange.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote