Thread: iPad 3G question
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonCZ View Post
yeah, but I thought Apple might have some kinda deal with AT&T such that all 3G connections/services would require a data plan except downloading books via iTunes (or iBooks) from the iStore. This appears to not be the case.
Like how the Kindle handles 3G, that would have been nice. But no, no 3G service without a plan. Of course you can cancel the plan at any time, so if you just need 3G for a month you can do that. And with the 3G model you get gps functionality without a plan.

One thing I found interesting about 3G, I signed up for the plan just to test it out and cancelled it after 2 weeks. I thought since you pay up front for the whole month that canceling would only cancel the auto plan refresh at the end of the month, but instead they cut off my 3G service immediately. So I payed for a month but only got 2 weeks.

Bottom line, if you only want 3G for a short time (like when you go on a trip) don't cancel the plan until the the end of the month.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote