View Single Post
Old 06-03-2017, 02:59 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Hey Diap. Yeah, I explained myself poorly. I did delete all the xml doctype stuff when I opened the blank file. I do it all the time when I copy and paste from a previous book (which brings along all the xml stuff at the top). Only this time I was just pasting something from the code without the full page. (screenshot)
Gregg, why in all the hells would you do that? Why would you be deleting the REQUIRED "xml stuff"? I realize that you say that the copy-paste is bringing along the Doctype declaration, etc., but, WHY delete what's there? Why aren't you pasting over it, if indeed the copied material has the requisite "stuff"? Honestly, you are ASKING for errors like that.

Quote:
So I looked for the file. I had two copies of it but only one that I had done the great majority of work on. I opened it and it was missing the great majority of the work. Like I said, I thought I'd missed something and checked the other file. Same thing. Missing the majority of the work. I did a file search to see if there happened to be more than two copies. There wasn't.

It seemed absolutely impossible that that could have happened but that's what happened.

And yeah Mend is on Open and Save. (screenshot)

I kept working with the same file and it saved properly. (I of course also saved it somewhere else.)
You know, I've been "in" computers since 1975. Oh, not like some of the guys here; I'm no steely-eyed programmer. But I started with 80-column punch cards, in '75, and I've been involved with them in one form or another since that time. Everything from developing early word processing applications, to installing Basic4 mini-computer networks in hotels, to what I do now, and in all that time, Gregg--in 42 years--I've never, never seen anything go back and eat a saved file. Never. Not this side of a disk crash, of course.

Yes, I agree with you, it seems impossible.

Also: I don't understand what it is you are copy-pasting. If it's your book, don't you just export it to HTML, and then open that HTML in Sigil?

Don't delete the head material. Just...paste over it, IF you truly have the same material in the copied stuff.

I gotta say, I think there's a perfectly good ePUB, someplace, on your computer. What you say does sound completely impossible.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote