View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #660
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi tkeo,

One other thing, I am not a big fan of minidom at all. It seems generally bloated and barfs if any true unicode is used (at least on 2.X). I see you wrote both a xml.dom.minidom version and a regular expression version of things. Every time I have used a xml elementTree or some other XML parser (either standard package or add-ons) in python 2.X I have run into problem cases that simply do not parse well or get confused with encodings, resulting in non-robust operation on some platforms (Mac, Win, or Linux).

So unless you feel strongly about it (and given the re vs dom code sizes are about the same), I would rather stick with regular expressions version as they are easier for people to modify and fix are are robust to most encoding issues.

I see you have also written a metadata parsing routine that supports epub 3 like "refines" on named items. This is quite nice but using it in epub 2 spec devices might cause problems.

I really think we should incorporate your code and try and create an epub 3 generator version of KindleUnpack to stay in epub 3 space and not try to mix private extensions into what is primarily epub 2 code.

What do you think?

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote