View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #56
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
Could you elaborate on this? I don't understand how this fits into his theories or with neo-darwinism that came later.

Well, I suppose we do this in farming generally but I suspect it might be a little politically incorrect to suggest it for humans.
I'm glad you asked because, and this is embarrassing, I totally flubbed what I said about Darwin. A quick perusal of his work showed me I completely (and unintentionally) misstated what he'd said about people with disabilities.

I was thinking of later work I read that talked about the survival benefits of empathy and compassion, and somehow misremembered it as something Darwin had said. Effectively, we are better served as being a species that cares about people that need support rather than a species that dumps anyone with more than a sprained ankle in the woods. Wizwor is still wrong but my response on that point was glib and off-the-cuff.

This does highlight a few things: (i) Darwin's evolutionary theory was groundbreaking at the time but far from complete; and (ii) it's good to be disagreed with so you can course correct.

Last edited by Ninjalawyer; 06-22-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote