View Single Post
Old 12-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #13
mrsp
Connoisseur
mrsp began at the beginning.

Device: palm T2
A web browser is not a device and Ebooks.com are not a European manufacturer so I think there is more to come on this.

On the bright side, this might offer me a way to read books on my hiptop (aka sidekick) which would be handy as its the one thing that its missing.

I am hoping that the platform will not require a continous internet connection to view the book too. That way it might hopefully work as a kind of format translator that you could use to get books onto a sony or cybook. Or is that just way too optimisitic?

I also have suspicions that the device from the european manufactuer will be an Illiad. If it is, I don't think it will work because its just too expensive to be attractive to Dymocks customers.

Also I don't think the local telcos would be nearly as accomodating in doing deals like Amazon have done so it will probably involve an expensive relationship with Telstra. And if not Telstra it won't work for me as where I live they are the only ones with a decent network. At $85 a gigabyte for wireless, its no wonder price is a big issue for me in buying a reader - I spend my money just keeping connected

Also, reading Teleread's interview with Stephen Cole, eb20 sounds like the perfect interface for the instore kiosks that Dymocks announced. Perhaps that's all Dymocks will use it for, and their online store like ebooks.com, and the device will be a totally seperate option.

I hope they do announce something more before Christmas given that they originally said they hoped to have it for sale before then.

Last edited by mrsp; 12-04-2007 at 07:48 PM. Reason: added more stuff
mrsp is offline   Reply With Quote