View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #40
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
So the author of a book can't omit details or paint them in a certain light? I don't follow your line of thinking here.
I think the answer to your question is already in kazbates's message:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Although a book can be slanted towards the author's viewpoint, there tends to be a greater amount of statistics and facts presented which you can then verify.
As I said, for me the main thing is that when reading a book, you have time to think about what you are reading, wonder about discrepancies, check facts. You can also do that with a documentary, and I often do, afterwards. But while I watch it, I don't have time to think for myself. Or at least it feels that way. I think this may be the main problem: I feel I'm being force-fed conclusions, not led through a reasoning that I can question.

But the truth is, there are good documentaries that show you not just a conclusion or opinion, but how experts have come to that conclusion, and sometimes how they disagree on it. And there are not-so-good books that just shove opinions in your face without taking any pain to explain them. I like the first and dislike the second, but I gain something from both: questions. After all, questions are what makes life worth living
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote