View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #119
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Credit to Alan (aka alansplace) for making me look into this on an unrelated topic. Thank you, you made me hardware-hack my PW today.

Do not worry, all that is needed is a small magnet and any way to strap it to the PW so that it can be easily removed / reattached. That is it on hardware needed.

Now how to turn the light OFF? Follow these 2 steps:

1) disable screensaver in search bar by entering and hitting return after this:
Code:
~ds
2) attach your magnet so PW would normally go to sleep with wake / sleep function

Ta Da, the light is off.

Few things you need to know:

- you can't enter screensaver sleep mode by closing the cover or pushing the button shortly - nothing will happen other than the light turns off when using cover (that is where the magnet above comes in)

- you can still put PW to sleep, but you must remove the magnet, push power button for few seconds (about 4 maybe) to enter white screen sleep mode. Again, light must be turned on, or PW won't enter white screen sleep mode

- the screensaver will not come on after 10 minutes (thought I mention that as ~ds disables that)

- the light can be turned on and off by simply removing / attaching magnet

- to return normal operation a restart is necessary (menu->settings, then menu->restart) - screensaver is back , attaching the magnet sleeps device again

- last not least: does not require Jailbreak or USB Network
Happy Hacking

p.s.: Thank you Amazon for this undocumented feature.

Update: See post #80 or directly this post for a nice guide on what magnet to use and where to put it. That post is for waking / sleeping with a cover. So you need to adjust accordingly to make it work for turning the light off. See picture #5 there for placement.
Using this method, PW also does not show password screen when starting it up again.
How's battery performing with ~ds?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote