View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #32
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The version of Windows PyCrypto 2.0.1 compiled for Python 2.6.xdoes not install. When I try to run it from the command line, I get This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. When I try to install via a double click, I get a requester asing me to pick what application to install it with.
LOL, I just figured this out.

Short version: install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package. It should work fine then.

Long version: the person who compiled the Windows version of PyCrypto doesn't know much about Visual Studio. Most C++ applications need the runtime library. By default, Visual Studio sets the runtime library flags to "/MD" and "/MDd", depending on whether you're compiling the release or debug build. The "D" in the flag stands for DLL, which means that the application should link to the DLL version of the runtime. It is up to the developer to distribute those DLLs with his application. The person who compiled the win PyCrypt version apparently doesn't know that. It's a classic rookie mistake...

If one didn't want to use the DLL version of the runtime, one could change those flags to "/MT" and "/MTd", and the runtime gets compiled in with the EXE. No need to distribute the DLLs.

I have those DLLs on my system since I have Visual Studio 2008 (they come bundled in). A person without VS 2008 needs to install the redistributable package to get them. If they don't, they get the nice crashing message.

Last edited by Valloric; 02-19-2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: typo
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote