Thread: Glo 2.4.0 bugs
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar View Post
I have selected French as my interface language and Kobo displays the date as DD/MM/YYYY.

I guess that Kobo decided to impose to all English-speaking customers the American date system instead of offering the choice with the international date system. Same thing happen often with hours, when instead of simply using 1 to 24, you need to add AM or PM so that people can figure out what time of day you're talking about.

Not a bug strictly speaking, but one of those "cultural" issues that makes everybody royally bothered as this thread demonstrates. On one hand, Americans cannot understand the level of fuss non-Americans will raise about this, for them it's just a friggin date after all. On the other hand, you have the rest of the planet frustrated at this confusing way of showing dates where instead of logically starting from biggest to smallest (YYYYMMDD) or smallest to biggest (DDMMYYYY), the guy in the middle (MM) is placed first...

Although I understand it shouldn't be such a high priority for Kobo, it shouldn't be that difficult to implement either. Standard coding routines for this stuff have existed for decades. It's an oversight from Kobo.
As a fellow Canadian, you should be more accepting of various date formats considering that a mix of DD/MM/YYYY and MM/DD/YYYY is commonly seen. As near I as recall, the Canadian English standard is DD/MM/YYYY and the Canadian French standard is YYYY-MM-DD but when in bed with an elephant...

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote