Thread: eips 5.1.0
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post

That means that 5.1.0 breaks ALL EXISTING programs that do ioctl calls to do eink updates. To make it worse, the new structure layout has the SAME NAME as the old one, and the header file containing it also has the same name. That way you cannot include both header files in the same program to support multiple kindle models (or even different firmware SUBVERSIONS of the same K5).

- - - -

How could this pass any peer review or quality control checks at lab126 or amazon?
"All existing programs" includes the programs in the Amazon system image.

Perhaps a short note in the de-bricking sticky about always using a matched kernel/system image pair?

Otherwise we may never hear the end of "I can't de-brick my..." from people using a 5.0.4 kernel with a 5.1.0 image or 5.1.0 kernel with a 5.0.4 image.

- - - -

A related question:
Is this e-ink driver a module?
My reasoning -
If it is, then it should be possible to build the new driver module so that it can be loaded into the old kernel (making the old kernel compatible with the new system image).

Just a thought tossed out for someone with time on their hands and a working Kindle kernel build environment.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote